Monday, October 5, 2009

Party like it's 1855?



Celebrations might be another "outside the poem" topic which we could pursue with "Song of Myself." It looks like the "celebration" in the opening line of the poem is the only time Whitman actually uses that word, but he also includes a catalog of contemporary types of celebrations (pg. 36 of the 1855 edition):

Upon the race-course, or enjoying pic-nics or jigs or a good game of base-ball,
At he-festivals with blackguard jibes and ironical license and bull-dances and 
         drinking and laughter,
 
At the cider-mill, tasting the sweet of the brown squash....sucking the juice 
         through a straw,
 
At apple-pealings, wanting kisses for all the red fruit I find,
At musters and beach-parties and friendly bees and huskings and house-raisings;

Could research into the cultural context of celebrations help us better understand what he means by celebrating himself? What does Whitman see in American celebrations?

4 comments:

  1. yes . .. I think so . . . there is an historical argument about the public/private status in 19th century America . . . i.e. that there was more of the public and that the private was underdeveloped . .. holidays, festivals, street gatherings, etc. . . .and I think that distinction (public/private) might be an interesting one to track through the poem .. pub/priv selves, actions, spaces, emotions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Hanley. Now, I have this public/private question in the back of my mind as I re-read...A few things that caught my eye this last time through:

    I cock my hat as I please indoors or out.

    Unscrew the locks from the doors!
    Unscrew the doors themselves from their jambs!

    I swear I will never mention love or death inside a house,

    And I swear I never will translate myself at all, only to him or her who privately
    stays with me in the open air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suddenly I see an intertext with Eliza Haywood and the question of private/public, inner/outer, mind/body. Those last three lines from Song of Myself that you quoted above--AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is really amazing
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete